>> This site is independent of the NHS and the Department of Health – We Cover England And Wales Only <<

Medical negligence & induced labour

Helping people affected by NHS negligence. Call us today for free impartial advice.

Where a child is overdue or medical staff consider there to be a risk to the mother or child from continuing with a pregnancy, labour may be induced. If a physical ‘membrane sweep’ by a doctor or midwife does not begin contractions, then labour is induced through the application of a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin.

In the second and third stages of induced labour, the hormone oxytocin can be administered via a drip to speed up contractions if the labour fails to progress quickly enough.

Can you make a claim?

Call for a free no obligation chat with our specialist malpractice lawyers

    NAME (required)

    EMAIL (required)

    PHONE (required)

    Your Message

    What if medical staff fail to adequately monitor mother & baby?

    While this procedure is usually successful, it can have severe side effects on the unborn child and needs to be monitored carefully. Failure to do so can cause the baby’s heart rate to drop dangerously low, causing brain damage in extreme circumstances and medical staff need to be alert to the potential need for an emergency c-section. Problems can occur if medical staff fail to adequately monitor mother and baby, or fail to spot signs of foetal distress. If this leads to injury to the baby, then a claim for medical negligence may be sought and legal advice obtained as quickly as possible.

    Medical negligence, c sections

    Read about errors and C-Section failure here.

    Can I sue the NHS?

    Before making a claim it is worth taking note of the following point.

    Check that your medical issues are grounds for negligence, and not a simple complaint procedure. Complaints about procedure dissatisfaction, or seeking an apology / admission for lack of care / treatment should go to PALS. Read more about suing the nhs.

    When you might have a claim

    Injury, continuous pain or loss due to the act of a practitioner or general lack of care at the NHS is an entirely different matter. You might very well have a claim. The duty of care might have been breached meaning the health care professional/s did not provide the expected level of care. If you believe you deserve compensation you may have a medical negligence claim. Read more about how to claim against the NHS here.